Wednesday, June 1, 2016

SHOPRITE LPGA CLASSIC UNDERWAY

2015 champion back to defend
This week, Anna Nordqvist returns to the site of her fifth career LPGA Tour victory and looks to defend her title on the Bay Course at Stockton Seaview Hotel and Golf Club.  Nordqvist has experienced an immense amount of success in front of the crowd in Galloway, as her tournament resume includes three additional top-5 finishes to go along with her 2015 win. She has not finished worse than T13 in her six career starts here.

“It’s always great to be back,” said Nordqvist. “Obviously I have a lot of great memories from last year. I’ve been playing pretty good here over the years, so it’s just one of those places where I really enjoy coming back. I like the New Jersey crowd, and it seems to have a lot of things in play for me this week.

The No. 19 ranked player in the Rolex Rankings fired three consecutive rounds in the 60s to finish at 8-under (205), edging out runner-up Christel Boeljon by a single stroke for the victory. Nordqvist, who ranks seventh in driving accuracy and third in greens in regulation on Tour in 2016, knows the challenges presented by the Donald Ross design the players will face this week.

“You have to give yourself a lot of chances, and you’re not going to make a ton of putts,” Nordqvist explained. “Playing smart, staying out of the rough, which is pretty thick this year. It’s a little softer than in the past, but I think it’s actually going to make it play a little tougher. You’re not going to get as much roll in the fairways.”

ANNA NORDQVIST - RECORD AT THE SHOPRITE LPGA CLASSIC
Year                             Scores                                                                                         Finish
2015                        67-69-69=205 (-8)                                                      Win
2014                        69-65-70=204 (-9)                                                      3rd
2013                        72-68-76=216 (+3)                                                    T13
2012                        69-67-71=207 (-6)                                                      T5
2011                        71-68-66=205 (-8)                                                      T5
2010                        70-68-67=205 (-8)                                                      T12

Her victory on the Jersey Shore was her last win and she said that her putting has been the part of her game that has maybe held her back this year. She has two top-10s with her best finish coming in the season opener, a tie for second, at the Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic.

“I think my game has been really solid all year,” said Nordqvist. “I didn’t really make a lot of putts this first half of the year, but I had a great turnaround in Kingsmill a couple weeks ago and had last week off, so I’m excited, and I feel like my game is right there where I need it to be.”

stacy lewis part of elite company
In 2014, Stacy Lewis won by a six-stroke margin and finished one shy of the tournament record set by Annika Sorenstam in 1998 and 2005 (-17) to capture her 10th career victory, and her second at the ShopRite LPGA Classic. Understandably, Lewis is excited to return to Galloway this week.

“I love this golf course and I love coming back,” Lewis said. “Having success here, that’s obviously why I’m back. Just looking for a place where I know I play well. I don’t know what it is about this golf course, but I just seem to play well on it, and that’s why I’m back.”

The No. 6 player in the Rolex Rankings is seeking to join Sorenstam and Betsy King as the only players to win the tournament three times.

“That would be pretty cool,” said Lewis of the feat. “I mean, I think the only other people to win it two times are Hall-of-Famers, so it’s a pretty good list to be on. I’d love to win this event again. I really love this event, and I think it’s done so much for this town and this area, and to come back here and support it, it means a lot to me.”

PLAYERS WITH MULTIPLE WINS AT SHOPRITE LPGA CLASSIC
Player                                               Years
Juli Inkster                            1986, 1988
Betsy King                            1987, 1995, 2001
Annika Sorenstam             1998, 2002, 2005
Stacy Lewis                           2012, 2014

With four top-10s already this season, Lewis is entering a summer stretch in which she is slated to compete in the UL International Crown and the Olympics on top of the regular Tour events on her scheulde. Additionally, Lewis is planning her wedding that will take place in August.

“I’ve waited for this for a long time and I’ve wanted this for a long time, and just because of some golf tournaments I’m not going to put my life on hold. I’ve done that enough, and it’s time to do something for myself that I’ve wanted, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

nordqvist MAKING A DIFFERENCE BACK HOME
Anna Nordqvist took last week off after finishing tied for eighth in the Kingsmill Championship Presented by JTBC and returned home to Sweden for the first time since Christmas. During the weekend, Nordqvist spent time with the Swedish Golf Team and 90 girls ages 12 to 18 at a junior golf clinic hosted by the Swedish Golf Federation.

“I know how much it meant having role models growing up, and I try to be one,” said Nordqvist.  “I am in the U.S. most times out of the year, but I can go back and I can give back in any way, I’m happy to do so. I’ve been the top-ranked Swede for a couple years now, and I think it is important that I -- it just kind of comes with the role to give back and kind of influence them, and if I can help in any way, I’ll be happy to do so.”

The Arizona State University grad will be joined by two-time champion Stacy Lewis and Lizette Salas in the 1:10 p.m. tee time off of the first tee on Friday.

MAJOR PREP WORK
Stacy Lewis will use this week as a major tune up for the season’s second major championship, the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship. The event will be held at Sahalee Country Club which is known for its narrow tree-lined fairways. Lewis said she will use the Bay Course as a good test to get her prepared.

Both courses seem to suit the 31-year old’s game. She currently ranks fourth in both greens in regulation (75.63%) and driving accuracy (81.05%).

“I’ve got my coach here this week, Joe (Hallett), and we’re definitely kind of gearing a lot of what we’re working on towards next week, and it’s going to help on this golf course, too.”

“You have to drive it straight here,” Lewis added. “You have to be able to control it in the wind. Next week the premium is going to be on driving it straight. We’re kind of working on some things this week that are going to lead into next week, and I like playing a week before a major. I don’t like taking a week off. I think it’s good to work on some things at the beginning of this week which helps with the three-day week.”

TV Times this week for SHOPRITE LPGA CLASSIC PRESENTED BY ACER
Golf Channel
June 3                    12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
June 4                    3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
June 5                    2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.  
All times listed are Eastern

NUMBERS TO KNOW
20.85 - Average age of winners in 2016
28.33 - Average age of winners at the ShopRite LPGA Classic since 2010
51 - Combined number of major championships won by winners of the ShopRite LPGA Classic
4 - Number of players who have won this event multiple times (Stacy Lewis, Juli Inkster, Annika Sorenstam, Betsy King)
2 - Number of players who have won this event three times (Sorenstam, King)
-17 - Tournament record score to par (Sorenstam, 1998 & 2005)

No comments: