PBA Spare Shots
PARKER BOHN III AND FAMILY ARE HAVING A GOOD YEAR
Parker Bohn III’s victory in the PBA50 Dave Small’s Championship Lanes Classic Tuesday in Anderson, Ind., put an exclamation mark on what has been a great year for the entire family. Bohn’s fourth PBA50 Tour victory, and first in two years, came on the heels of some other family triumphs, including:
● Wife Leslie Beamish Bohn receiving USBC’s Volunteer of the Year Award in April in Las Vegas;
● Son Justin Bohn winning the boys’ “junior varsity” title for bowlers 15 and younger in the Teen Masters Championships in Mechanicsville, Va.
● Son Brandon Bohn winning the USBC Junior Gold U12 boys’ title in Cleveland, Ohio, where Justin finished in a tie for seventh in the U15 boys’ division while daughter Sydney Bohn, in only her second year in bowling, finished 38th in a field of 124 in the U12 girls’ division.
PBA50 TOUR FINALE SET FOR XTRA FRAME; U.S. WOMEN’S OPEN IS ON THE AIR
The DeHayes event will finalize the PBA50 Rookie and Player of the Year races as well as decide the top eight point-earners for the season who will compete in the PBA50 during GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling IX, presented by Reno Eldorado Properties on Nov. 7 in Reno, Nev.
The PBA60 Dick Weber Championship for players 60 and older Aug. 10-12 at Pro Bowl West will wrap up PBA senior competition for the year. It also will be covered in its entirety by Xtra Frame.
This week’s highlight is coverage of the U.S. Women’s Open from Plano Super Bowl.
Then Xtra Frame shifts back to PBA Tour coverage of the final three events in the PBA Xtra Frame Storm Cup series. At stake at the close of the Storm Cup series is shares of $50,000 in bonus prize money for the top five players in points, including $20,000 to the winner.
For live streaming time and other details, check under the “schedules” tab on pba.com. Xtra Frame subscription packages are available for three days, 30 days and a full year. To sign up, visit xtraframe.tv for details.
PBA fans also can follow real-time results for PBA50, PBA Xtra Frame Tour and all PBA Regional events by visiting the “live scoring” feature on pba.com or by downloading the new PBA app on Apple devices.
Xtra Frame subscribers also are invited to watch for a special “PBA Perspective” features that will be included in the Xtra Frame archives every other week. This week’s feature, which debuted Tuesday, involves Francois Lavoie taking Xtra Frame subscribers through his 2016 U.S. Open victory.
PBA REGIONAL UPDATE: BUSY AUGUST AHEAD FOR REGIONAL PLAYERS
Bowl in San Jose, Calif.; the Illinois Valley Midwest Open at IV Super Bowl in Peru, Ill., and the DHC Japan PBA Doubles Open, Japan Cheetah Masters and Japan Cheetah Queens at Nagoya Grand Bowl in Nagoya, Japan.
● For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on PBA Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area…and remember, you can follow “live scoring” for all PBA Regional events on pba. com (easily accessible for Apple device users using the new PBA app).
● Correction: The bowling center owned by the late Bill Lillard that hosted the PBA-PWBA Xtra Frame Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles for several years was Palace Bowl, not “Bowl on Bellaire” as noted in the July 31 news release concerning his death.
● Emil Viola of Port St. Lucie, Fla., wins a new Brunswick ball, Jody Haslam of Nolensville, Tenn., receives a new high-performance MOTIV ball; and William Sendzik of Port Huron, Mich., is the lucky winner of a new high-performance ball from DV8 as July sweepstakes prizes for subscribing to Xtra Frame. The monthly sweepstakes is sponsored by the respective PBA Product Registered partners. Monthly winners are selected from among new Xtra Frame subscribers, who are automatically entered when they enroll as a monthly or Xtra Frame Season Ticket (full year) subscriber.
● Christopher Clay is the July winner of a $200 HotelPlanner.com certificate, redeemable for future lodging expenses, compliments of PBA’s official travel partner. The monthly sweepstakes is open to anyone who books a hotel through the HotelPlanner.com link on pba.com. Those who book through HotelPlanner.com are automatically entered.