Tuesday, September 10, 2019

SC18 Logo - 2019 - Primary CMYK (1).png


McDonald to Replace Lewis on 2019 U.S. Solheim Cup Team

GLENEAGLES, Perthshire, Scotland (Sept. 10, 2019) – U.S. Solheim Cup Captain Juli Inkster announced Tuesday that Stacy Lewis has withdrawn from the 2019 USA Team due to a back injury. Ally McDonald, who was named as the first alternate when the team was finalized on Aug. 25, will replace her on Team USA and is already on site at Gleneagles.

“Stacy is one of the fiercest competitors I have ever met. I know this was an incredibly tough decision for her, but she also has the team’s best interests at heart,” said Inkster. “Stacy will stay with Team USA over the next week and will still be an incredible asset to our crew. But when I had to choose an alternate, I knew Ally would be able to step up for the challenge. She’s got a cool head but a fiery spirit. I know she’ll bring her best to Team USA.”

Lewis was named to Team USA as one of Inkster’s two captain’s picks. The four-time Solheim Cup veteran has been struggling with a back injury for the last week.

“I’m extremely disappointed not to be able to play. I’m a competitor and I want to play, but I had a back injury flare up last week,” said Lewis. “I’ve done everything I could possibly do over the last week to be ready to play. For my health and what I feel is in the best interest of the team, I decided to take myself out. I will take a different role with the team and will do whatever I can to help Team USA bring the Cup home.”
 
McDonald, in her fourth year on the LPGA Tour, will make her Solheim Cup debut in Scotland. Over the two-year qualifying period (the 2017 CP Women’s Open to the 2019 CP Women’s Open), McDonald has 15 top-20 finishes, including at three majors in 2019. She has previous team experience at the 2014 Curtis Cup, where she partnered with Team USA’s Annie Park for a 4-and-3 fourball victory over Bronte Law, who is representing Europe at the Solheim Cup, and Charlotte Thomas.

“I didn’t want to make the team this way, but when Juli told me what was going on with Stacy, I was ready to step into either role, if that was being here and being part of the experience or being ready to tee it up,” said McDonald. “It was just mentally preparing for either scenario. I’m obviously very excited to play. This was a goal of mine to play on this team.”

Inkster and Lewis will be available in the media center’s interview room at 3 p.m., with McDonald available at 3:30 p.m. alongside teammates Morgan Pressel, Angel Yin and Marina Alex.

About The Solheim Cup:
The Solheim Cup combines the tradition and prestige of the game of golf with passion for one’s country and continent. This biennial international match-play competition features the best European players from the Ladies European Tour (LET) and the best U.S. players from the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour.

The Solheim Cup is named in honor of Karsten Solheim, the founder of Karsten Manufacturing Corporation, which makes PING golf equipment. In 1990, the Solheim family, in conjunction with the LET and the LPGA, developed the concept and became the title sponsor for the Solheim Cup. Today, the global partners of the Solheim Cup are PING, VisitScotland, Aberdeen Standard Investments and Rolex.

Held every two years, the event has grown into the most prestigious international women’s professional golf team event. The 2019 Solheim Cup will be held on the PGA Centenary Course at Gleneagles in Perthshire, Scotland, on Sept. 13-15. Team USA heads to Scotland leading Europe 10-5 all-time in Solheim Cup competition

For more information, visit www.solheimcup.com.

No comments: