Monday, July 31, 2017

LEE IS THE NEW COMEBACK KID



Mi Hyang Lee is the new comeback kid.

The Korean entered the weekend at the Aberdeen Asset Management Ladies Scottish Open at four-over par, in a tie for 39th and nine-strokes back of 36-hole leader Cristie Kerr. She posted the low round of the day on both Saturday and Sunday with rounds of 68 – 66 to win by one at six-under par.

Lee took moving day quite literally as she began the weekend at Dundonald Links nine-strokes back of the lead and in a tie for 39th with opening rounds of 73- 75. After her round Sunday, Lee revealed her clubs hadn’t arrived in Scotland until Wednesday, so she played with a rented set for her Tuesday practice round and it took her a few days to adjust.

“I think the first and second round was, I hit it really good, but just I missed a lot of putts. So I tried to practice my putting with the wind. I made a lot of putts yesterday, so I took a lot of confidence from yesterday,” Lee said.

She leaped into contention during Saturday’s extreme weather with a four-under par, 68 to climb back to Even par and six-strokes back of Webb.

Sunday, she picked up exactly where she left off with a 31 on her outward nine that put her in a tie at the top with Webb. But Lee cooled on the back, with eight consecutive pars and was unaware of what was happening behind her with Webb. She went on to make a well-timed birdie at the 72nd hole, which proved to be the one-stroke difference that earned her a second career win on Sunday.

“It was a really surprise for me, and then just my front nine is amazing, and then I think I got a good start from my first hole,” Lee said about her victory. “Then just my back nine is a little up-and-down, but I made a lot of putts. I made a lot of good putts and then a good chip shot, too. Just I think hole-by-hole, simple.”

To read Amy Roger’s complete recap please visit - http://www.lpga.com/news/2017-quick-recap-final-round-ladies-scottish-open

WEBB COMES UP JUST SHY
Karrie Webb came up just shy in her quest for her 42nd win on the LPGA Tour finishing a shot out of a playoff with Mi Hyang Lee.

“Yeah, I played really well,” Webb said. “I drove the ball great and hit my irons really well, and the creative shots I played really nicely and actually trusted my feel and creativity rather than being so technical about it. So I felt really good about how I played this week and I actually felt good about how calm I was today, considering it’s been a while since I’ve been in contention. Hopefully that bodes well for next week.”

Webb chipped in for eagle at the par five, 14th to take a two-stroke lead and looked in command of her game as she nearly holed out at the next hole.

But then at the 16th, she missed a short putt to save par and her round continued to unravel from there. Now leading by one with three to play, Webb hit what she thought was a solid drive at the 17th, but it took an awkward kick into the fairway bunker at the par four, the first bunker Webb found this week.

“Yeah, very gutted,”  Webb said. “Obviously like you said, I was on a high, making the eagle, and then I had a very nice up-and-down on the next. Obviously there were nerves there, but there was a good calmness there. Even on 17 tee, I hit -- like I said, the exact tee shot I wanted to get it down around those bunkers, and I’m not quite sure what happened to it, how it ended up where it did.

But even the last two, decent swings. I just had an in-between number unfortunately. I would have liked to have just hit a hard 8-iron but I couldn’t count on it carrying that front. But no leaderboard on the last, so I didn’t know I had to make that.”

OF NOTE
Mi Hyang Lee went 75 starts between her victory in Japan and today

Her six shot comeback is the largest comeback on the LPGA Tour this season

Becomes the 20th different winner this year on the LPGA

QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Actually my bag doesn’t come this week until Wednesday. First time I practice with my golf club on Wednesday. Just I rented clubs from the pro shop for the practice round on Tuesday. So yeah, it was a really good experience for me.”

-Mi Hyang Lee on not having her clubs earlier in the week

No comments: