Thursday, August 23, 2018

LPGA PRE-TOURNAMENT NOTES


LPGA QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT FIRST STAGE PRE-TOURNAMENT NEWS AND NOTES

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. — On the eve of the start to what is the biggest golf competition for many individuals in the 340-player field at the First Stage of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament, a raw mix of emotions is sure to greet the bunch come tomorrow morning. 

Nerves, excitement and anticipation are boiling in the scorching desert heat at both Mission Hills Country Club and Marriott’s Shadow Ridge Golf Club in Palm Desert, the host sites for this week’s kickoff to Q-School. With 44 different countries represented and 37 players that have made multiple starts on the Symetra Tour this season, there is a wide variety of backgrounds and pathways to get to this point.

In addition, the plain and simple of this moment comes down to perspective. 

“When you have been on Tour and have to come back, that’s not what you want, but you have to do what you have to do,” said Avery George (Perry, Georgia), who made her 2018 season debut at the IOA Invitational after surgery on her left ankle last October. “Coming off injury is not an excuse, but I give myself a little leniency. Not everyone gets the opportunity to come out here for a second time, let alone a first time, so I’m thankful and will use it as fuel to the fire.”

Another angle to take is to use this time to learn more about one’s game and improve. For Emma Henrikson (Malmo, Sweden), some recent swing changes have her looking at the long-term process instead of immediate results. 

“I have always had a draw and it became exaggerated around June. I played with it and then my coach Patrik Jonsson realized I can get away with it, but it wasn’t going to take me to the next level,” said Henrikson, who has shot even par or better in the first round of six of her 11 starts this year. “Now, it feels a lot better and more natural again. I’ve had some good rounds, just haven’t put together a whole tournament.”

Furthermore, the mental component is always a topic of discussion when it comes to making the leap from the Symetra Tour to LPGA Tour. The combination of heat, continual practice and the grind to develop consistency leave plenty of room to find a way to block the outside noise. 

The challenge of bringing it all together is something that Henrikson has worked hard to instill and hopes to take the next step toward strengthening in the Golden State.

“I have been in the top-five multiple times after round one and I think it’s because I go into the tournament with no expectations then my swing allows me to do my thing,” Henrikson said. “When I shoot a decent score, I put more pressure on myself and get a little impatient with things. I’m here to learn and develop that patience because I know my game is good enough.”

Whichever way an individual approaches the First Stage, there is undoubtedly a goal in the back of their mind. The entry fee alone of $2,500 just to compete showcases the dreams of many and a true investment in their future.

As soon as the first tee shot is fired tomorrow morning, it won’t matter where you’re from or how you got here. What will matter is what you do with the opportunity.

“Big goal is to get all the way through to Q-Series, but I’m taking it day-to-day,” said George. “I still have full status on the Symetra Tour, so I could go and play really well for the rest of the season, but I’ll focus on this week. Honestly, the main goal is to get my full status back for next year and anything better than that is a positive.”

SCHUBERT WITH ONE CLEAR VISION IN THE DESERT
There’s no denying 2017 U.S. Women’s Amateur champion Sophia Schubert (Oak Ridge, Tennessee) has more experience than most players fresh out of college and it has provided the University of Texas (UT) alumna with an edge heading into the First Stage of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament.

“I’m going to take the mindset that I’m going to go out there and try to win,” said Schubert. “I feel like that is the best approach for me and that I can do it.”

On August 1, the former three-time All-Big 12 selection turned pro and recently made her professional debut at Brickyard Crossing Golf Club in Indianapolis for the Indy Women in Tech Championship. Schubert missed the cut, but learned plenty in taking her first steps on the new journey.

“Out there you have to make a lot of birdies, you have to do it with the putter,” said Schubert, who was also named a Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) First Team All-American her senior season. “My overall game was good and it was a new experience, first time playing as a professional. I felt pretty good about it, just need to work on the putter.”

Leading up to the occasion, Schubert had a number of experiences to draw on. By capturing the U.S. Women’s Amateur title, she earned exemption into four of the next five LPGA majors including the 2017 Evian Championship, as well as this year’s ANA Inspiration, U.S. Women’s Open and Women’s British Open. Schubert finished tied for 58th in France, missed the cut in the first two events on the 2018 calendar and didn’t go back overseas in order to focus on Q-School. 

No matter the results, Schubert witnessed what it takes to find success at the next level.

“I was looking at it and a bunch of girls that are now on the LPGA didn’t shoot super low numbers in college golf,” Schubert said. “I noticed a few months ago when I was playing with [In-Kyung] Kim and [Sung Hyun] Park that their short game is incredible. Kim missed the first three greens, but made two out of the three chips. When they miss greens, they all get it up and down pretty much every time it seems. You are putting to make the money and I think that is the biggest difference.”

She’s also picked the brain of numerous LPGA stars including Danielle Kang, as well as rookie and 2017 Symetra Tour graduate Emma Talley. 

“I played with Danielle back at Evian, asked her a bunch of questions,” said Schubert, who set the UT single-season stroke average record of 71.76 her final year. “I have asked Emma so many questions and some other girls because they were where I am just a short time ago. They have all helped me out and gave me good advice.”

As she continues to develop into a professional golfer and fine-tune her short game, Schubert will continue to call Austin home. Much of the time one can find her practicing at UT Golf Club, where she received a free membership upon turning pro. 

The transition from college may be challenging, but with a familiar setting to grow and a mindset that remains the same, Schubert starts ahead of the curve.  

“I’ll be out there, Austin Country Club and a few other places. Austin has been great to me, so I want to stay there,” Schubert said. “It takes a little bit to get used to playing professional golf. I feel like if I keep the mentality that I am going to go out there to win, that’s better to take than just trying to make the cut because then you’ll fall short.”


The journey really starts to get moving for Schubert at 12:30 p.m. PDT tomorrow off No. 10 tee on the Arnold Palmer Signature Course when she opens play in the First Stage of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament with Binny Lee (Frisco, Texas) and amateur Jade Shellback (Cairns, Australia).

No comments: