Wednesday, June 9, 2010


Kelly Kulick's Remarkable Season Continues
With PBA Regional Win in Lakewood, Wash.

Kelly Kulick, the first woman ever to win a Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour tournament, continued her storybook season Sunday June 6 by winning the PBA Northwest Region Tacoma Dodge Open regional tournament at Bowlero Lanes.
Kulick, of Union, N.J., defeated non-member Curtis Messer Jr. of Grays Harbor, Wash., 259-200, in the title match to win her second career PBA regional event. She was the only woman entered in the 64-player field and now joins Missy Bellinder of Lake Forest, Calif., as the only women to win two PBA regional tournaments.
“I thought that if I could get to the top 16 in match play anything was possible,” said the 33-year-old Kulick. “I think the format worked in my favor and bowling on the Viper lane condition helped too because I usually do very well on that condition.”
Last January Kulick made sports history by defeating 2007-08 PBA Player of the Year Chris Barnes 265-195 in the title match of the 2010 PBA Tournament of Champions which included an elite field of 62 other male competitors.
Kulick also has recently won two major women’s tournaments—the United States Bowling Congress Queens in April and the U.S. Women’s Open in May. It was the second time in her career that she won both of those events.
When Kulick won the Tournament of Champions she earned a two-season PBA Tour exemption which means she will be competing on Tour full time beginning this fall. It marks the second time she has earned a Tour exemption having earned her first in the 2006-07 season.
“Everything’s going my way and I hope it doesn’t end but I know I have to keep working hard to get results,” Kulick said. “I look at my accomplishments so far as great preparation for the Tour season and hope the success continues there.”

No comments: