Thursday, June 3, 2010

Anthony LaCaze is 2009-10 Harry
Golden PBA Rookie of the Year

The Professional Bowlers Association has announced Anthony LaCaze of Melrose Park, Ill., as the 2009-10 Harry Golden PBA Rookie of the Year.

As a non-exempt player, the 27-year-old LaCaze had to compete in Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour qualifying rounds for most of the events last season to earn his way into tournament fields. In the ninth tournament of the season, he won the PBA Earl Anthony Memorial Classic to earn an exemption for the 2010-11 season.

LaCaze ranked 27th in earnings with $42,570 and 38th in average with 211.94. He made match play in five tournaments and his other top finishes included a 17th in the Etonic Don Johnson Eliminator, 19th in the PBA Tournament of Champions and 24th in the Motor City Open.

LaCaze’s decision to compete on Tour was solidified after a fourth place finish as an amateur in the Lake County Golden Anniversary Championship in Hammond, Ind., during the 2008-09 season.

“When I made the show in Hammond that gave me the confidence I needed to compete on Tour,” he said. “It proved to me I could become good enough to win.

“After winning a title I feel like at least in a small way I’m part of PBA’s history.”

LaCaze credited a lot of players on Tour for helping him during his rookie season. Most notable among those was 2005-06 Rookie of the Year and former Saginaw Valley State teammate Bill O’Neill who also broke into the win column this season by winning two titles including the Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open.

“I owe Bill a lot because he was really my mentor out on Tour this year,” LaCaze said. “The help and experience he shared with me were very instrumental in my success.”

While his professional career is off to a good start, LaCaze admitted the work has only just begun.

“You quickly find out that there are a lot of things you need to learn both physically and mentally,” LaCaze said. “I’m committed to doing whatever it takes so hopefully there will be even better seasons to come.”

Also receiving votes for Rookie of the Year were Tae-Hwa Jeong, Cassidy Schaub, Stuart Williams, Martin Larsen, Steven Black, Johnny Petraglia Jr., Nick Weber, Dan MacLelland and Jay Futrell.

No comments: