Friday, June 5, 2009

PENNSYLVANIA STUDENT AWARDED USBC ANNUAL ZEB SCHOLARSHIP

Elizabeth Donahoe of Ardsley, Pa., has been named the winner
of the 2009 United States Bowling Congress Annual Zeb Scholarship.

The Zeb Scholarship is awarded to a USBC Youth member who achieves academic
success and gives back to the community through service. Started in 2005, the award is
named for Jim Zebehazy, who served as the executive director of the Young American
Bowling Alliance from October 1996 through December 2004.

"I have always excelled in academics, participated in after-school activities, and
volunteered to help better my community," Donahoe said. "I needed a sport to help keep
me active and also to experience the athletic side of life. It was gratifying to find a team-
oriented sport where I could truly enjoy myself.

"Bowling has been so much fun and I value the bond that my team has created. A
supportive environment where I can enjoy myself and also keep fit was exactly what I
was looking for. Receiving the Zeb Scholarship is such an honor for me. I am thrilled
about being the recipient this year."

Donahoe will receive a $2,500 scholarship, which will be managed through the USBC's
SMART Program. The scholarship will be formally presented at the USBC Junior Gold
Championships award presentation July 17 in Indianapolis.

This past summer, Donahoe traveled to Nicaragua, through the Building with Books
program at her high school, to help build a school in a small village. In her applicant
essay, Donahoe described the life of her Nicaraguan family, saying it "showed me
material things do not matter. Even though they have a mud house with mud floors, they
have the biggest hearts and welcomed us into their close-knit family."

Donahoe will graduate from Abington Senior High School next month. She is a National
Honor Society member and has a 4.395 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale. She earned
the Gold Award, the highest national honor given by the Girl Scouts of America, for
putting together an event to help women with young children entering the workforce. The
event included breakfast and lunch, motivational speakers, a workshop on resume
writing, and a session on skills needed in an interview.

She has bowled in the Saturday morning Juniors league at Thunderbird Lanes in Willow
Grove, Pa., the past four seasons.

Annual Zeb Scholarship Award Winners
2005 Katelyn Spangler, Renton, Wash.
2006 Nicole Miller, Petaluma, Calif.
2007 Jacob Greene, Oilton, Okla.
2008 Natalie Demarko, Brunswick, Ga.
2009 Elizabeth Donahoe, Ardsley, Pa.

No comments: