Saturday, February 12, 2011

MAPP FAMILY ON A
MISSION WITH EBONITE

Ebonite and its Mission line of equipment continue to put honor scores on the map. In this case, it’s the Mapp family of suburban St. Louis.Father Jessie Mapp II was inspired to drill an Ebonite Mission after staffer Kelly Kulick’s victory in the 2010 PBA Tournament of Champions. Kulick used a Mission to become the first woman to win a Major championship on the PBA Tour.“Her game is one of the best I’ve ever seen,” said Mapp, who is youth bowling director at Crest Bowl in Florissant, Mo.. “We watched as a family when Kelly won, and when we saw her roll that ball, I told my son, ‘We gotta get one.’”Mapp rushed out to buy a Mission, and used it to roll games of 264, 260 and 290 for an 814 series. The elder Mapp’s first 800 came in June at Crest Bowl.“It was really exciting for me,” said Mapp, who is a youth bowling director at Crest Bowl. “I didn’t know I had 800 going. We were bowling a tough team, and it was kind of forced upon me to shoot 800.”Not to be outdone was his namesake Jessie Mapp III. The 14-year-old righthander also drilled a Mission and set out to post big numbers.Those numbers came on Sunday February 6th during a high school league match at King Pin Lanes in Bridgeton, Mo. Mapp, who leads the Mid America High School League in average with 212, recorded games of 265, 257 and 279 for an 801 series, the first of his career.“It was a race between me and my dad,” said the freshman from McCluer North High School in Florrissant. “I was the first to roll a 300 game, and I wanted to beat him to 800, but he got there first.”The younger Mapp rolled his first perfect game at age 12, and recorded his second a year later. He says the 300 games prepared him for the 800 series.“The first 300, I barely got to the line because my legs were shaking,” he said. “But with the second 300, I gained more confidence, and I was calm during the 800 series.”The elder Mapp says rolling an 800 series was great, but watching his son roll 801 was surreal.

No comments: