Friday, December 25, 2009

BLUMENSCHEID, RUSSELL NAMED USBC
YOUTH AMBASSADORS OF THE YEAR

Blair Blumenscheid of Columbus, Ohio, and Kevin Russell of Markham, Ill., have been selected as the USBC Youth Ambassadors of the Year by the USBC Youth Committee.

The award recognizes USBC Youth bowlers for exemplary contributions in the sport of bowling, academic accomplishments and community involvement. Awarded annually to one male and one female bowler, each winner receives a $1,500 scholarship, and one of the winners might be selected to serve as a member of the USBC Youth Committee for a period of three years.

Blumenscheid graduated from St. Francis Desales High School in 2009 with a 3.75 grade-point average. She currently is a freshman at Ohio State University and is the anchor for the women’s bowling team.

Jo Dimond, the Association Manager for the Central Ohio USBC, said Blumenscheid showed excellent organizational skills while working in the Youth Leaders program and Youth Committee. Dimond added that Blumenscheid “displayed maturity and patience during her tenure” and that working on the administrative side of bowling gave her new insight into the sport.

“This award is important to me because it recognizes me as a leader as well as a bowler,” Blumenscheid said. “Bowling has given so much to me between friends, outstanding coaches, scholarship money to pay for college and a sport that I can play my whole life. I always looked up to the coaches and bowling leaders in my youth, and they encouraged me to get more involved. Through their advice and my own desire to help, I try to give back to the sport that has given me a better life.

“I want to pass the advice forward and encourage all other youth bowlers to get involved and do the same. We are the future of bowling, and it is up to us to keep it going.”

Russell, a sophomore at Robert Morris University and a member of the Eagles bowling team, started bowling when he was four years old. Sandra Hardy, director of the Dolton Bowl Full Throttle Junior League Program, said they have “been blessed to witness his transformation from a shy teenager to a disciplined and determined leader.”

He remains active in the junior program, currently serving as chair of a committee of coaches, parents and junior bowlers to develop a lesson plan for bowlers 14 and older who are new to the sport. The idea is to teach the teenagers the basic skills in an accelerated time frame so more teens can be introduced to the sport without feeling awkward around other teens for not having a higher average.

Russell also recently received his minister’s license through The Church of the Living God in Chicago.

“First of all, I would like to thank God, without him nothing is possible. I would also like to thank my parents; if they weren’t the type of parents that they are, this would not be possible,” Russell said. “Since I was four, I have worked with some of the best coaches from youth league, through high school, and now in college as well as had some of the best competition. I would especially like to thank my current youth coaches, Beverly Houston and Sandra Hardy, for teaching me and encouraging me to become the young man, athlete, mentor, and leader I am today.”

Blumenscheid and Russell will receive their awards during the USBC Convention, April 28-May 1 in Reno, Nev. To learn more about USBC awards and this year’s USBC Convention, visit BOWL.com.

No comments: