Sunday, November 8, 2009

Here & There Column 11-3-09

We Just Can't Stop Helping The Poor & Elderly

The cool November weather with it's approaching winter conditions always brings difficult conditions for Sullivan County's poor and the elderly.
It's tough out in the real world where the unemployment rolls continue to rise and government everywhere is considering layoffs, an increase in property taxes, consolidation of services and programs and even the elimination of some programs and services.
While recently walking across a Sullivan County communities Main Street I was approached by a man with tears in his eyes and in a choked up voice he asked me for a couple of dollars so that he could get something to eat.
I asked when the last time was that he had something to eat and he said that two days before he had some coffee and eggs.
I then asked where he lived and he said he curled up in any barn or open garage he could find.
When I attempted to explain to him that he didn't have to live this way because there were organizations that could help him he said he didn't think anyone would help him.
I told him that I would not just give him money and that I was on my way to the diner across the street and I asked him to join me and I would pay for a nice hot lunch and that I would then take him to an agency where he could get some help.
He said no and just asked for money which I refused and he turned away and went across the street.
I believe I did the right thing and after talking to folks who work in several government agencies they said I did the right thing because the man refused my help for a meal and probably would have used the money for something else other than food.
An incident like this triggers me into going to authorities and agencies and asking questions mainly because I needed answers about poverty and homelessness.
I'm told that at various times of the year the level of homelessness and poverty is very evident even here in rural Sullivan County and I fear that government agencies and programs that help the elderly, homeless and those on the poverty level will be cut or dangerously reduced for our needy folks in the county.
With our sick economy there is sure to be an increase in homelessness and poverty and government agencies and programs that help fight these problems need to be maintained and even increased to help those in need.
Reports are that we are seeing a very alarming trend that shows no sign of going away.
The percentage of Americans who are on the borderline of poverty need help and assistance, not reduced programs and services.
We have been told that a lot of folks just do not quite make the cut to receive food stamps or some kind of benefits and so they live on a razor edge of desperation and starvation.
Food banks, soup kitchens and homeless shelters report that they have seen a vast increase in people that would starve or be without clothes if not for their services.
We just can't believe that even in tough economic times any government agency would allows this to happen.
To think that we would turn a blind eye to starving homeless folks and our elderly is totally wrong and we call upon compassionate minds to make sure this doesn't happen.
Look at all that we send to help other countries when we have an alarming rate of poverty and homeless citizens. We must put our priorities in line with the welfare of all our citizens. We cannot afford to neglect the folks who need help. There must be a call of reckoning to stop depriving anyone their basic need to exist.

No comments: