Thursday, October 21, 2010

KELLI BRISCOE JOINS
INTERNATIONAL BOWLING
MUSEUM/HALL OF FAME AS CURATOR

Kelli Briscoe, an avid historian with extensive museum and journalistic skills, is the new curator of the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame (IBM/HF).

Briscoe, who in May earned a Master of Arts degree in ancient/medieval history from Southern Methodist University, started in her new position Oct. 18.

“We are delighted to have a person with Kelli’s background and talent with us,” said IBM/HF Chairman Pat Ciniello. “She’s going to help us maintain and preserve our extensive collection while making the IBM/HF a great place to visit.”

Briscoe most recently was administrative editor for Studies in the Novel at the University of North Texas in Denton. She previously was managing editor of Travelhost, Inc., in Dallas. Immediately before that, was a researcher/writer for Dallas’ Museum Arts, Inc., and a contract curatorial assistant for Fort Worth’s American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum.

Earlier in her career she was a writer and editor for a number of Texas-based publications including managing editor of Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine. She also was a web editor for a hospital cooperative.

“While I was working in journalism, I always had a passion for history so I went back to school to get my masters,” Briscoe said. “I didn’t know what to do with it but while I was in school I got the job at the C.R. Smith Museum putting together a timeline of the history of American Airlines. I also worked on updating the archives.

“I loved it. I realized this is what I wanted to be. Working with archives fit in well with my degree.”

After her contract ended, she worked for Museum Arts where she was involved with Denton’s African-American Museum, a Houston bible museum and Big Brothers/Big Sisters. So she was overjoyed when the IBM/HF opportunity arose.

“It was everything that I had done at the C.R. Smith Museum,” she said. “It’s great what they’ve accomplished here to get this place open. I was amazed. Now I feel I can help get everything ready for the future.”

Among Briscoe’s goals are to centralize the IBM/HF’s artifacts, create temporary exhibits and help promote the facility to families and youth both in and out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Briscoe and her two children live in the Dallas-Fort Worth suburb of Hurst.

About the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame
Located at the International Bowling Campus in Arlington, Texas, the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame collects, preserves and researches bowling’s history, provides a suitable home for bowling’s major halls of fame, and makes the museum’s information and collection available to interested parties globally for education, promotion and entertainment.

No comments: